The recipe for the vanilla cupcake is from the 'Bake me I'm Yours...Cupcake' by Joan and Graham Belgrove.
You will Need:
- 225g/1 cup slightly salted butter
- 225g/ 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 225g/1 cup self-raising flower
- 5ml/ 1 tsp natural vanilla extract.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175c/347f/Gas 4. Places cases in cupcake trays.
- Put sugar, then flour sieved, then chopped up butter and vanilla in a food mixer with paddle attachment or a hand held electric mixer. Beat on a medium-high speed until well combined.
- Add the eggs one by one with mixer on slow speed.
- Spoon into cupcake cases. Place in the center of the oven for:
- 13-14 mins for mini cupcakes or until cake springs back to the touch.(A skewer will come out clean)
- 18-20 for normal cupcakes or until cake springs back to the touch.(A skewer will come out clean)
- Turn out and cool on wire racks.
You will need:
- 300g/ 2 1/2 cups icing/confectioners sugar, sifted
- 100g/6 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- 40g / 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 tablespoons of whole milk
- Beat the sugar, butter and cocoa in a freestanding electric mixer with paddle attachment or an electric hand mixer on a mdeium slow speed untilt he mixture comes together and is well mixed.
- Turn the mixer down to slow. Add the milk to the butter mixture a little at a time. once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed. beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. the longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.
|Full sized Vanilla Cupcakes, Just out of the oven|
|Mini Vanilla cupcakes, just out of the oven|
|Mini Vanilla and chocolate frosted Cupcakes|
The chocolate frosting was lovely and creamy. I topped it off with a Cadbury's chocolate button and dusted with icing sugar.
I will try this recipe again, but take them out 2 minutes earlier.